Annual (yearly) registration is required for all dogs and cats over 4 months of age residing in Dallas. Registering your dogs and cats helps us better serve you by understanding the real number of animals around us, ensuring your pets are vaccinated and healthy, and assisting us with returning your pet to you should it ever be lost.
In order to successfully register your dog or cat, you must provide proof of a current rabies vaccination certificate.
- $7 for spayed/neutered (sterilized) dogs and cats
- $30 for intact (not surgically sterilized) dogs and cats
- Free for up to 3 sterilized dogs and/or cats if the owner is over 65 years old. There is no discount for unsterilized pets.
If your animal is not spayed/neutered (sterilized), you will also need an Intact Animal Permit. This permit is an additional $100 and must be renewed annually (yearly). In order to obtain an Intact Animal Permit, the following guidelines must be met:
- Dog/cat must be current with its vaccination, registration, and have a microchip
- Owner must be a current member of a purebred dog/cat club OR successfully complete the Responsible Pet Ownership course taught at Dallas Animal Services. For more information about the Intact Animal Permit, or Responsible Pet Ownership courses, please call 214-670-8248.
- For assistance finding affordable spay/neuter surgery for your pet, please visit our Spay/Neuter page.
Reference: Section 7-4.2 of Dallas City Code